Friday, June 8, 2012

My Ombre DIY Fail

My ultimate favourite colour technique is by far the ombre effect. Depending on how drastic the contrast, it can look gently sun-kissed or make a bold statement. I do not encourage "Multi" (multicultural aka black/textured) clients to relax and permanently colour their hair. It's just too much chemicals going on for one head. Our hair is fragile enough. (I promise to make a post and break that down for you further) That being said- there was no way I was about to experiment this technique on my hair. So I headed down to my local Beauty Supply for my favourite 18inch Remy hair in 1B. Oooohhh!! Let me tell you I was feeling like Beyonce for a few days:


Excited by my new look there was no way I was going to let my oppourtunity to pre-lighten my hair (yes, MY hair) slip. I used 20 volume developer along with the V-light prelightener, grabbed my girl and said, "Let's do this!" (Shout out to Nishaa!!!!)


So we applied and we waited for about an hour. It lifted maybe one level which was not what we were going for. Wanting to speed up the process I sat under the dryer for another 45 minutes. It lifted up to two levels. Worried about my hair's condition I washed it out because there was no way I was trying to over process my brand new weave! I kept staring at it. I was not satisfied. I did it again.

I let it process for about another half an hour and decided whatever the outcome it would be better than the last. I washed it. I got a blow-dry. I screamed.
MY HAIR TURNED GREY!!!!!
Take note ladies: Unless the package is labeled "virgin", your weave more than likely has "human-like" hair blended in with the "100% human hair" and pre-lightening it is not the best idea.


Now that I look back at the pictures I can laugh. It wasn't THAT bad. But believe me, the next time I try to pre-lighten my weave I'll be sure to order 100% virgin hair (Check out www.vimagevirginhair.com) and wear it for a good while, take pictures, THEN experiment with the ombre effect! 

No comments:

Post a Comment